Hamilton Fountain

Hamilton Fountain was designed as a carriage horse watering trough by the firm of Waren and Wetmore. The Tennessee marble structure was commissioned posthumously by Robert Ray Hamilton (d. 1890), who left $9,000 to the city for its installation. Hamilton originally intended the fountain to be cited in the Chelsea neighborhood where he owned property. The fountain was dedicated in 1906. With the virtual disappearance of horses from Manhattan's streets, the fountain is primarily decorative and the trough is filled with lily pads and goldfish in the warmer months. (reference)

76th St Hamilton Fountain
9/2/2001 03:39 PM
76th St Hamilton Fountain
10/16/2007 02:03 PM
76th St Hamilton Fountain
10/16/2007 02:04 PM
76th St Hamilton Fountain
10/16/2007 02:04 PM