The Mu$eum of American Finance
48 Wall Street (corner of William and Wall)
New York, NY
The Museum of American Finance was founded in 1988 as the Museum of American Financial History and originally located in the Standard Oil Building at 26 Broadway. In 2007, the museum relocated to the main banking floor of the former headquarters of the Bank of New York, a space that had been vacant since 1998. The museum is a celebration of capitalism and an educational institution, housing a vast collection of artifacts of New York's financial services sector.
The land at 48 Wall Street had originally been purchased by the Bank of New York in 1796. This neo-Georgian skyscraper, the third of the bank's buildings on this site, was designed by Benjamin Wister Morris and constructed between 1927 and 1929. The limestone tower culminates in a Federal-style cupola and is crowned with an American Eagle. The Bank of New York merged with Irving Trust in 1988 and left this 48 Wall Street location in 1998 for the former Irving Trust building at One Wall Street. The building was estensively renovated and modernized in 2001.