Brownsville / East New York, Brooklyn
On the border of Brownsville and East New York the Bay Ridge Line descends into a cut going north. The BMT Canarsie Line (L train) joins from the south and proceeds on an elevated track just to the east of the Bay Ridge Line but standing on its right-of-way. It's a strange juxtaposition of high vs. low track. The Bay Ridge Line was built before the Canarsie Line, but the Canarsie Line was built when elevated trains were the fashion in the late 19th century and the below-grade cut for the Bay Ridge Line didn't happen until around 1914.
One suggestion of the RPA for how to start development of the Circumferential Line is by moving the Canarsie Line track into the Bay Ridge Line cut, which would improve speed on the L train as well as get a head start on track that would be presumably be shared by the Canarsie Line and the Circumferential Line.
Brownsville is a very troubled section of the city, with a high concentration of public housing units and the associated poverty and crime.
As the Bay Ridge Line curves to the north, it passes the Linden Shop and Yards... where subway tracks come from. A nice video of what goes on inside is HERE...
The NBI lists the Linden Boulevard Bridge (BIN 7702670) as a 173-foot steel girder bridge (widest span 62 feet) built in 1930. The date marker cast in the concrete is damaged, but appears to read 1932.
New Lots Avenue Station
New Lots is the site of a station on the Canarsie Line and in the late 19th century, the LIRR Bay Ridge Line had a New Lots Road station somewhere around here.
There are three separate rail bridges crossing here at New Lots. The easternmost bridge (BIN 7702661) is an 42-foot girder span carrying a service track from the Linden Shop that runs to the west of the Bay Ridge Line and connects to the IRT Brooklyn Line a few blocks up at Livonia Avenue - presumably to carry track sections to/from the Linden Shop. The center bridge (BIN 7702662) is an 42-foot girder span that is a bit overgrown with vegetation. The Canarsie Line bridge (BIN 7702470) is a 53-foot girder span built in 1905.
Palagonia makes great Italian bread that I have often bought in the grocery store. Little did I know it comes from this humble little bakery in Brownsville beside the Bay Ridge Line.
7/16/2008 04:42 PM
Looking north along the west retaining wall for the MTA storage yard and the Bay Ridge Line right-of-way
Livonia Avenue / Junius Street Stations - Brownsville / East New York
The elevated Brooklyn IRT crosses over everything at Livonia Avenue. The Canarsie Line and IRT do not share a station, although there is a pedestrian overpass between the two. A service track from the IRT descends to the south to head into the Linden Shop.
If the recommendation is taken to move the Canarsie Line into the Bay Ridge Line cut, the Circumferential Line and Canarsie Line would share a station here, although there would still probably be no direct transfer available to the IRT.
7/16/2008 04:59 PM
Bay Ridge Line tracks looking south from the Livonia Ave. station pedestrian overpass
7/16/2008 05:04 PM
Sealed freight doors on a warehouse on Van Sinderen Ave, just east of the Bay Ridge Line
7/16/2008 05:06 PM
Arthur N. Brook Center for Positive Change - in an old warehouse on Dumont Avenue
The Blake Avenue Bridge (BIN 2243900) is a 75-foot prestressed concrete slab bridge built in 1990 that replaced a span here that dated from the 1909 grade elimination project.
Sutter Avenue - Brownsville / East New York
Sutter Avenue is a Canarsie Line stop and presumably would be one on the Circumferential Line. The bridge over the tracks (BIN 2243890) is a 87-foot prestressed concrete bridge built in 2004 that replaced a span dating from the 1909 grade elimination project.
This vestigial junction is a remnant of the Fulton Street Elevated, which was opened in 1888 by the Kings County Elevated Railroad Company to compete with the borough's first El, the Brooklyn Elevated Railroad, which had opened in 1885. The Fulton Street El initially ran from the Fulton Ferry on the East River to Nostrand Avenue and was extended within a year to a station on Atlantic Avenue in East New York (the station that has become Broadway Junction). The line then took a brief turn to the south on Van Sinderen before turning east again here on Pitkin Avenue, ultimately heading out to the Brooklyn city line at Grant Avenue. In 1900, the Kings County Elevated Railroad Company was bought out by the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company (BRT).
The Canarsie Line (L train) opened in 1907 and used a portion of the Fulton Street El on Van Sinderen Avenue south of Broadway Junction before heading south on new track. In 1940, the three NYC transit companies were merged and the portion of the Fulton Street El from the river to Rockaway Avenue (just west of here) was abandoned because it was redundant with the newer IND Fulton Street underground line that had opened in 1936. An extension of the IND Fulton Street Line was built from Rockaway Avenue east to Euclid Avenue after WWII and opened in 1948. In 1956 a connection was made between the IND at Euclid Avenue with the Fulton Street El at 80th Street, making the section of the Fulton Street El between Van Sinderen and 80th Street redundant and obsolete. That section was finally demolished in 2004, leaving this junction alone since it was part of the structure of the Canarsie Line track.
The Glenmore Avenue Bridge (BIN 2243860) is a 108-foot prestressed concrete bridge built in 2004 that replaced a steel stringer bridge from 1930.